Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Freedom's Kiss by Sarah Monzon





  • Paperback: 302 pages
  • Publisher: Radiant Publications (August 9, 2018)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1944638075
  • ISBN-13: 978-1944638078


About the Book:

They were prisoners of the past. Could legacy be the key to setting them free?

Olivia Arroyo knows who she is and where she’s going—her sense of family responsibility a stepping-stone to her dream of becoming a chef. When her employer refuses to allow her to move from server to the kitchen, she makes another opportunity for herself with the owner of a new food truck. But her life derails when a hidden piece of her past suddenly comes to light, and she discovers everything she thought she knew about herself has been a lie.

A single decision can have innumerable consequences—a truth that has changed Adam Carrington’s life. A criminal defense attorney turned food truck owner, he is haunted by his role in an unpardonable act and driven by his need to make restitution. Unexpected help comes in the form of a feisty raven-haired beauty, but she soon begins challenging his kitchen as well as his heart. 

Florida 1816 Propelled by a fleeting hope of freedom, Winnie and her family escape slavery and find refuge and new life with the Seminole Indians of Florida. But their future is still uncertain as threats of war, a return to slavery, and removal to the West shake their tentative grasp on freedom. Will they ever step out of the shadow of fear to leave a legacy of deliverance?


My Review:

As a reader and adoptee, I was captivated by Sarah Monzon’s novel from page one. Her skill as a storyteller shines, and her talent for weaving the past with the present is outstanding.  The chemistry between Olivia and Adam is infectious and at times hilarious!  'Freedom's Kiss' has the right amount of intensity mixed with wit and humor to keep the pages turning.

My only criticism concerns the conclusion.  I was waiting for history to impact present in a big way but, while Monzon did connect the dots, the connection was made very loosely.  I would have loved to see more of an impact.  However, this did not detract from the overall story itself.

This is my first novel by Monzon, and I always love discovering someone new to fall in love with.  I’m so satisfied with this story that I hunted down the first two books in this series so I’d have more of Monzon’s writing to enjoy!

I'm pleased to recommend 'Freedom's Kiss' to you as a very enjoyable read.


Until the next read,

Deena


* I was provided a complimentary advanced copy of this book from the author and volunteered for the opportunity to provide an honest, impartial review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all thoughts and opinions I have expressed are entirely my own.

0 comments:

 

Just One More Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon