Monday, November 7, 2016

Long Way Gone by Charles Martin



  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Thomas Nelson (October 4, 2016)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0718084713
  • ISBN-13: 978-0718084714

About the Book:

“No matter where you go, no matter whether you succeed or fail, stand or fall, no gone is too far gone. You can always come home.”
At the age of eighteen, musician and songwriter Cooper O’Connor took everything his father held dear and drove 1,200 miles from home to Nashville, his life riding on a six-string guitar and the bold wager that he had talent. But his wager soon proved foolish.
Five years after losing everything, he falls in love with Daley Cross, an angelic voice in need of a song. But just as he realizes his love for Daley, Cooper faces a tragedy that threatens his life as well as his career. With nowhere else to go, he returns home to the remote Colorado mountains, searching for answers about his father and his faith.
When Daley shows up on his street corner twenty years later, he wonders if it’s too late to tell her the truth about his past—and if he is ready to face it himself.
A radical retelling of the prodigal son story, Long Way Gone takes us from tent revivals to the Ryman Auditorium to the tender relationship between a broken man and the father who never stopped calling him home.

My Thoughts:

Hold on for just a moment...I'm trying to find my tissues.  Charles Martin broke my heart, pieced it back together again, then broke it one more time.  I've always loved his books, but...MAN, this one tore me up and back again!

The back cover states this is a 'radical retelling of the prodigal son story'...to put it mildly!  It's a little bit Frank Peretti, a little Karen Kingsbury, and a whole lot of slow, southern storytelling from (in my opinion) one of the best in the genre.

The story is told in three parts: present day, past history, then back to present day.  And don't expect to have all of your questions answered until you turn the final page.  Drove me just a little crazy, but once I had my answers I was like, "Oh, well, of course!"

And prepare to lose your heart to Cooper, Daley, BigBig, Dad, and Jimmy.  Martin includes some supernatural themes that will spark a bit of child-like wonder if you'll allow...do allow.  And you'll learn way more than you most likely ever wanted to know about guitars and music, but every bit is fascinating.

Charles Martin is one who does his research, and he goes deep, all to craft an authentic and truthful work of fiction that you'll never forget.  I am so thankful to my friends at Thomas Nelson Publishing for my advance copy, received under no obligation.

"Long Way Home" is a true journey, and while not ever moment of the journey is pleasant, every one is necessary.  Read Cooper's and Daley's story and find healing in your own.  I'm giving "Long Way Gone" my "Oh, The Feels" with "One For the Ages" combined.

Bring tissues.  Lots and lots of tissues.  Until the next book,

Mark Your Place,

Deena

0 comments:

 

Just One More Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon