Thursday, January 18, 2018

Life on the Porcelain Edge by C.E. Hilbert




  • Paperback: 366 pages
  • Publisher: Pelican Book Group (November 1, 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1611169399
  • ISBN-13: 978-1611169393

About the Book:

Tessa Tarrington's life is swirling out of control. No job. No apartment. Sick Dad...And she’s back in high school! Teaching at her Gibson's Run alma mater would be tolerable, except she’s sharing purgatory with her mortal enemy, Ryland Jessup. 

But eight years post-high-school, and after tragedies she can barely understand, Ryland no longer fits her mental image of the over-sized bully he once was. In fact, much to her disgust, he’s finding his way into her heart. After the sudden death of his wife, Ryland hung up his professional shoulder pads and picked up a whistle. 

Now he’s focused on coaching the high school football team and raising his daughter. The sudden return of his childhood crush, Tessa Tarrington, has reawakened long-ago feelings. But if God's giving him a second chance to impress Tessa, the Man Upstairs has a funny way of showing it. 

Just when Tessa starts to lighten up, Ryland's best friend returns. Will the always-irresistible Joey Taylor stifle any hope Ryland has to ignite the dream of a relationship with Tessa?

My Thoughts:

I was excited about this debut from C.E. Hilbert.  The cover is hilarious and the premise was relatable.  I was Tessa in high school, middle school, elementary school, and beyond.  So I really looked forward to my advance copy from the publisher (no services provided in exchange).

Life On the Porcelain Edge started out well, but about half way through the book it seemed the story bogged down.  I'm not sure what happened, but it lost momentum, and I was tempted to mark it DNF.

But I did love Tessa, and Ryland was adorable.  But it was little Emma that stole my heart and kept me reading.  I'm very glad I finished the book.  The love triangle was weak, especially when everyone's feelings were finally revealed.

So Life On the Porcelain Edge is a good book, and I will definitely be watching for her next book.  Debut novels are great, but as an author writes more and more, strengths begin to appear.

Three out of five stars

Until the next page turns,

Deena

0 comments:

 

Just One More Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon