Thursday, August 17, 2017

Strains of Silence by Bethany Kaczmarek




  • Paperback: 416 pages
  • Publisher: Pelican Book Group (August 1, 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1611169666
  • ISBN-13: 978-1611169669

About the Book:

Music was her driving passion and the truest expression of her faith, but three months before her wedding, twenty-year-old Kasia Bernolak can’t even pick up her guitar. Feeling like a fraud who will ruin her dad’s pastoral reputation, she can barely meet his eyes. When Kasia finds the strength to break off her engagement, she still doesn’t realize the dangerous truth: Blake Hamilton isn’t ready to say goodbye. And he’ll do whatever it takes to keep her.

Alexander “Zan” Maddox has seen what a domineering man can do to an unsuspecting woman, and Zan is sick of injustice. He gave up a college baseball scholarship so he could protect his sister from her abusive husband. When he rescues Kasia from her ex-fiancé, he instinctively appoints himself her personal bodyguard. Now, all he has to do is keep from falling for her himself.

Kasia and Zan become fast friends, but true healing and justice might cost more than either of them is willing to pay.

My Thoughts:

"Strains of Silence"is a very powerful and emotional story. I've been around abuse and have been abused, so this one triggered a LOT of tears. I had moments when I had to put the book down and just sob. Kaczmarek took a huge risk with a very volatile topic and it most definitely paid off. 

The relationships between the characters are rich and deep, and these imaginary people explore the ramifications of relationships, abuse, and assault without fear.  Zan's experiences help draw the poison out of Kasia's soul, and vice versa.

Be warned: the story is VERY realistic.  Some scenes may trigger strong emotions, but trust me when I say that the pain is worth the journey to the end.  I was very satisfied by the end, and I believe you will be as well.  And great healing can come from great fiction, so don't miss out on "Strains of Silence".

My one issue with the book is minute, but the foreign names and some unfamiliar language was different, and I would have loved a glossary page. But the story is exquisite and very well crafted.

I am eager to see what Kaczmarek writes next!  "Strains of Silence" receives my "Oh, the Feels!" and "Packs a Punch" marks of excellence.  My thanks to NetGalley for an advance copy with no obligations promised in return.  

Until the next page turns,

Deena

0 comments:

 

Just One More Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon