Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: My Ten Reasons More People Need To Read



In my humble opinion, our world would be a much better place if more people would read.  And here is why I think I'm right:

1) reading is relaxing--if you do it correctly, that is.  Instead of reaching for some substance, reach for a good book.  It stimulates the mind without agitating the senses, and can actually help you sleep better.   Unless you pick up a book by Melissa Tagg, Susan May Warren, Rachel Hauck, Candace Calvert....yeah...let's move on...

2) reading educates.  Too many of our citizens and non-citizens get their information in sound bites, talk radio, and news broadcasts.  All of these entities have been proven to have an agenda, but a book gives far more information, and you can find a book that is merely information with no bent.

3) reading help support authors.  If people don't read, authors don't work.  If people don't buy books, authors don't work.  And if people don't talk about the books they read, no one will know about great books that they should be reading.

4) reading takes you places.  I would love to be able to travel, but alas...I am poor.  However, I've been to Hogwarts, England, Narnia, Scotland, Ireland, Australia...and so many other places both real and imagined (I often prefer the imagined).

5) reading gives you new experiences.  I've been in the military, gone undercover, worked with the U.S. Marshall service, been a chef, made pastries, gone deep sea diving, and been on a treasure hunt.  I've been a superhero, a bad guy, worked in law enforcement, and I've broken the law.  I've been an accidental detective and a victim, a wife, a mom, a daughter, a daughter-in-law, and a sister.  All by reading books.

6) reading teaches you how to think.  Watching television does not.  People who know how to think make informed, better decisions and choices.  People who know how to think enjoy life more and expand their horizons.

7) reading brings families together.  Reading bedtime stories, sharing about what you've read, and talking about ideas you've gleaned from your books will bond you closer together.  Some of my favorite moments have been sharing books with my family.

8) reading exercises your imagination.  While I adore the covers of many of my favorite books, the best are the ones with no people on the cover.  I create them in my mind as I read, which can make book & movie adaptations a real bummer.

9) reading keeps you safe.  No wandering out in the streets looking for trouble, no having to make your own adventures.  You can get into trouble from the safety of your own home within the pages of your favorite read.

10) without books, would you be here, hanging around with me, reading what I've written...really??

So, what do you think?  Why do you believe people should read?  I'd love to know, so tell me in the comments.  See you soon...until next time...

Mark Your Place,

Deena

0 comments:

 

Just One More Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon