Friday, August 4, 2017

The Evaporation of Sofi Snow by Mary Weber



  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Thomas Nelson (June 6, 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0718080904
  • ISBN-13: 978-0718080907

About the Book:

For fans of ENDER'S GAME, THE HUNGER GAMES, and BLADE RUNNER, comes a story of video gaming, blood, and power.
 
Ever since the Delonese ice-planet arrived eleven years ago, Sofi's dreams have been vivid. Alien. In a system where Earth's corporations rule in place of governments and the humanoid race orbiting the moon are allies, her only constant has been her younger brother, Shilo. As an online gamer, Sofi battles behind the scenes of Earth's Fantasy Fighting arena where Shilo is forced to compete in a mix of real and virtual blood sport. But when a bomb takes out a quarter of the arena, Sofi's the only one who believes Shilo survived. She has dreams of him. And she's convinced he's been taken to the ice-planet.
 
Except no one but ambassadors are allowed there.
 
For Miguel--Earth's charming young playboy--the games are of a different sort. As Ambassador to the Delonese, his career has been built on trading secrets and seduction. Until the Fantasy Fight's bomb goes off. Now the tables have turned and he's a target for blackmail. The game is simple: Help the blackmailers, or lose more than anyone can fathom, or Earth can afford.
 
From the award-winning author of the Storm Siren Trilogy, step into a diverse cast of characters spanning from the electric metropolises of earth to the chilling alien planet above, in a story of re-finding yourself in the midst of losing the one thing you love. Before it all evaporates.

My Thoughts:

"The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" was a mixed bag read for me.  I fell in love with Weber's first novel, Storm Siren" and found the story engaging and exciting.  But with Sofi, I kind of felt like I'd missed the first half of the story and wandered through the pages confused and looking for something I never found.

We know little about this mysterious race, the Delonese, and I needed more.  They show up, the earth is in desperate need of assistance, and BOOM!  The action kicks off in chapter one.  But who are these Delonese, and why are they here, and how did this game system evolve?

For that matter, what IS this game system?  I saw nothing resembling "Blade Runner", and very little resemblance to "The Hunger Games" (which didn't bother me in the least).  I didn't connect with the main characters until about half way through the book, but I was in love with the background characters from the start...

especially the....oops, almost dropped a spoiler!  At least, I think it's a spoiler.  I'm not quite sure.  I received a copy of "The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" from my friends at Thomas Nelson with no services or obligations promised in return.

So, I'm giving "The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" my "One to Watch" stamp, and hoping Weber can clear some things up with the sequel.  Otherwise, I will be one extremely disappointed reader.

Until the next page turns,

Deena

0 comments:

 

Just One More Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon